adrift in the sea of experience

Saturday, May 7, 2011

DownMarker, a Markdown editor/viewer

I've released version 0.1 of DownMarker, a small desktop application that can be used to to view, navigate and edit a set of interlinked markdown files:



In case you don't know Markdown, it is a "easy-to-read, easy-to-write plain text format" intended to be converted to HTML. I first encountered it as the format used at Stackoverflow for editing questions and answers. In fact, DownMarker is based on MarkdownSharp, a library generously released as open source by the stackoverflow team.

Currently some things are still missing, but my hope is that DownMarker will work well for creating light-weight wikis inside your version controlled projects, or anything else that can store files. Let me know if you find it useful!

3 comments:

sblair said...

This is really handy. Thanks!

Guntis Endzelis said...

i was searching the net quite a while and could not find a good windows based solution. Now i did find!

Some suggestions for usability improvement

* utf-8 encoding for the built in browser and editor. I can't use it now for other languages than English
* remember the splitter position last used, or to be able to set the default

Wim Coenen said...

@Partneris: The markdown is already saved as UTF-8, but I never actually tried to type some non-ASCII characters. I'll do some testing.

The persistence of the splitter state was already on my todo list, but I've bumped it up. It will be in the next release.

Thanks for the feedback!